Pool Now Open!
All Public Swim sessions are drop-in only (no pre-registration).
All Swim Lesson sessions require pre-registration (no drop-ins).
Lap Swim, Aqua Walk and Aquatic Exercise sessions allow for pre-registration which is recommended if you wish to ensure your spot. Drop in participation will be accepted if a session has not filled through pre-registration.
Lap Swim and Aqua Walk (independent) - session pre-registration may be made online, in-person or over the phone up to 3 days in advance.
Aquatic Exercise (instructor led) - session pre-registration may be made online, in-person or over the phone up to 7 days in advance.
Please check back frequently for changes to session schedules - links to the appropriate pages are listed below and to the left.
- Lap Swim / Aqua Walk (Independent): $4.00
- Public Swim (Open Swim): $3.00
- For Pool Pass information please visit the AFRC Passes Page.
- Please note: session fees are charged for each separate session, they do not cover the entire day.
- Drop in participation will be accepted if a session has not filled through pre-registration.
- Passes are only good for the session type indicated.
Session Specific Information and Schedules (click on the links below)
Session Registration Information and Policies
- Drop in participation for all sessions except swim lessons will be accepted if a session has not filled through pre-registration.
- Public Swim Sessions are drop-in registration only.
- Children must be registered by their parent/guardian due to the liability waiver required for participation.
- Pre-registration will open at 8 am 3 to 7 days prior to a session (dependent on session type) and will close at 10 pm the day prior to a session. Be sure of dates/times you are registering for as refunds will not be given per AFRC withdrawal policies.
- Pre-register at https://secure.rec1.com/NM/alamogordo-recreation/catalog.
- Pre-registration is on a first-come basis for all sessions - each session does have a max capacity based on State mandates for public pools and staffing levels.
General Information on Facility and Pool Practices and Policies
- Please read the information below and the specific information to the right as it explains current practices/procedures that you will be expected to follow and answers a lot of questions you might have prior to registration and attendance
- PUBLIC SWIM sessions
- ALL AGES
- DESIGNATED SWIM AREA: east half of pool - 3' - 4'6" depth (slide will be available starting in late May/early June when staffing numbers allow, splash pad is currently unavailable due to repairs)
- DEPTH: 2 1/2' to 4 1/2' in depth
- LAP SWIM / AQUA WALK sessions
- Early morning and noon sessions, Mon-Fri are for ADULTS & SENIORS ONLY
- Evening, Saturday and Sunday lap swim sessions are for 14+ YEARS
- TWO PEOPLE PER LANE,
- Independent sessions, NOT instructor led
- participants must follow the direction of Lifeguards if asked to change lanes
- SESSION TIME: 1.5 HOURS
- max time allowed, includes exit/entry time
- NUMBER OF LANES: VARIES PER SESSION
- max of 9 lanes for lap swim and 8 lanes for aqua walk
- DISTANCE:25 yards (75 feet) per length, 50 yards (150 feet) per lap
- DEPTH: VARIES
- Lap swim - 4 1/2' to 9' deep (depth stays consistent throughout lane)
- Aqua walking - 3' to 4 1/2' deep (depth progresses from shallow to deep within walking area)
- Entry is through the main entrance where you will be checked-in
- Exit - patrons must exit the facility promptly at the end of their swim session time through the northwest gate of the pool.
- LOCKER ROOM USE & BELONGINGS:
- Locker rooms and Lockers are available for use.
- LOCKS ARE NOT PROVIDED - it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that patrons bring a lock if they are intending to use a locker to prevent lost or stolen items. The facility is not responsible for lost or stolen personal items.
- Patrons MUST take an initial rinse shower prior to entering the pool.
- Locker rooms and showers are NOT to be used for prolonged showers during or after a swim session. Patrons may shorten their time in the pool in order to take another quick rinse shower after swimming but must exit the facility by the end of the allotted session time.
- CANCELLATIONS, NO SHOWS & TURN-AWAYS
- If a session is cancelled by the facility (e.g., bad weather, maintenance issue) prior to 45 minutes of the session being completed, a facility session pass ('rain check') will be given at the main desk that can be used for another similar session within the next two weeks.
- If a pre-registered participant does not show for a session or is turned away due to non-compliance with any facility procedures/practices, no refund will be given.
Please be aware that pool session openings and hours are subject to change due to weather, staff availability and pool maintenance. To verify pool openings and hours, please call 575-439-4142 during regular facility hours.
Age Categories & Restrictions
- Youth – to qualify as a youth individuals must be 17 years of age or younger.
- Full Facility - any child under the age of 10 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or over) at all times. Both youth and adult are charged use fees.
- Pool Area - any child 6 years of age or under must be kept within arm’s reach of an adult (age 18 or over) while in the pool area (on deck or in water) at all times. Maximum adult / child ratio: 1 adult / 2 children. Both youth and adult are charged use fees.
- Adult – to qualify as an adult individuals must be 18 years of age or older.
- Senior Adult – to qualify as a senior adult individuals must be 55 years of age or older.
50 meter by 25 yard outdoor pool and surrounding deck is available seasonally for:
- Aquatic Fitness
- Birthday Parties
- Lap Swim
- Private Pool Rental
- Recreational Swimming
- Swim Lessons
- Swim Team Practices
The AFRC Pool is a seasonal outdoor pool. The pool’s operating season is anticipated to be a six month season-open from mid-spring until mid-fall. However, the schedule is subject to change due to maintenance issues, weather and/or staffing.
To verify pool hours please give us a call at 575-439-4142.